DIY Flowers - Bucketfuls of 'Growers Mix of Flowers'
If you want to do-it-all yourself- DIY: you'll be interested in our flowers by the bucketful. They are available as mixed flowers @$80 or by color @$95. We make every effort to supply a wonderful mix of our locally grown flowers for you to work with. Design and consulting are not included in this DIY option. $50/hour is available, but never necessary. Call Susan with questions or special needs.
Details: These flowers are grower's choice. The buckets include 70 + stems, always a lovely mixture of flowers; a fine combination of focal flowers, filler and line flowers. Specific color requests (and April-May & October- November flowers) are $95 per bucket. Greenery only buckets are always $80.
Mixed Dahlia only buckets will be available August - October 1 @$95 each. This is the only flower we sell this way.
-Specific varieties may be ordered by a standard 10 stem bunch: these would include hydrangea, peony, sunflower, Lisianthus, viburnum, tulip, ranunculus, anemone, dahlia and lilac.
Personal Flower Designs plus DIY buckets for the reception:
We design the personal flowers and the family orders buckets of flowers to make the centerpieces. We do this all the time.
http://www.shady-grove-gardens.com/DIY-workshop - Do-it-Yourself - we help 'Flower Arranging Party'
-Flowers listed by color and weeks available throughout the season
Blog posts of many of our DIY Brides
Frequently Asked Questions - Flowers by the Bucketful
- How do I get started placing an order? Start by listing all your designs and plan an average number of stems you need. Plan the number of buckets and colors as well and greenery. Fill out the order form or call Susan. Plan a pick up time and mail the 1/2 deposit check to get your order placed.
- How many stems? and what is in a bucket? We start with at least 7 bunches, which means ~70 stems. We make every effort to offer a pleasing mix of bright 'garden flowers'. The bucket will include filler, focal and line flowers for arranging. All our best flowers go to our wedding clients. You can see which flowers we are working from by looking at our bar charts list flowers by color and the week they are generally available.
- Why should I order your locally grown buckets of flowers instead of from a big company? Not only do we offer a unique mix of lovely garden and wildflowers. We promise they will be perfectly fresh, and well hydrated. You don't need to learn flowers to order from us. You can order a mix or by specific color. We work very hard to make you happy and your day perfect. Our flowers offer your the unique local feel of the mountains, you will not get from other places.
- How many Quart mason jars will one bucket make? It depends on the fullness of your arrangement. But we usually say 5 mason jars with a regular mouth jar opening. For bud vases, it's best to practice with a few flowers. Don't forget to plan your greenery if you are using some.
- I really want a professional to design my Bridal Bouquet, do I need another florist? No, Susan can design beautiful bouquets for you Call for a consult.
- How long will they last? Down in water, in a cool spot, these flowers will last 4-10 days, depending on the variety. We find wilting occurs when they are put in the sun or out of water. Most of these 'garden wildflowers' do not like to be in floral foam.
- When can I pick up the buckets of flowers? Anytime you need them. Most brides pick up on Thursday or Friday. All pickups are 9AM- 6PM
- How far are you from Boone? We are 10 miles from downtown Boone, straight out Hwy. 421 north. Please see the map and address on our website.
- How many vases will they make? Impossible to say, all vases are different and many brides use numerous sizes. My suggestion is to practice a bit. This will also give you a feel for how much time to allow for arranging.
- What do I need to arrange the flowers? Helpers, plenty of space, funnel, pitcher, strong garden clippers!! Someone to strip the leaves, to keep them out of the water, gloves, time, something to transport the vases in, such as a boxes with packing materials. Remember we have curvy roads.
- How do I care for the arranged flowers? All flowers use the most water the first 24 hours. Arranged or not, check your water levels and fill the vases up. Store them in a cool spot whenever possible. Like all flowers, wind and sun will make them wilt. Do not let the photographer lay them out in the sun.
- Where is the best place to keep them, I don't have a cooler. An air-conditioned room, without the air directly on the flowers. Out of the sun and heat. Not in a hot car, an open pick-up, or a beer cooler. NO Food/drink coolers- it's too easy to damage your flowers there.!
- Who should I send to pick the flowers up? Anyone with plenty of room in their car. This is when SUV's come in handy. I often meet Moms and Dads. Make sure to check the water level when you get to where you are going. The pickup person is usually in charge of final payments as well as the cash bucket deposit.
- Is there greenery in the buckets? No, not unless you request it. We use mostly non-traditional evergreen type greenery. You can order a $80 bucket of just greenery. We sell vines by the bunch too. Make sure to tell us if you want dark, silver or lime green foliage.
- I need specific colors, how does that work? You may order any color or colors you need as long as we grow it. These buckets are $95 each. This allows us the time to choose, maybe even plant, just the right flowers and colors for your wedding. We welcome color swatches or photos of the colors you want.
- Why are the April- May & October - November mixed buckets $95? Many of these flowers are grown in our greenhouse requiring months of extra care. It is not heated, but is labor intensive. These buckets often include special spring bulbs such as tulips, anemones and ranunculus. The higher price also allows us to order flowers if the weather does not co-operate or we are short on your colors.
- What if I need more flowers? We often have extra flowers cut on Friday. You can shop from any that aren't promised, straight out of our cooler. We sell these by the bunch. Bring extra, clean buckets.
- I feel like I need a consult. If you don't see the answers here or elsewhere on our website call me @ 828-297-4098. Otherwise, a standard sit-down consult will be $50/hour if we are not designing flower arrangements for you.
- How does it work with the bucket deposit? We charge a refundable $5 cash deposit for each of our buckets. They should be returned within a week or two; clean and not broken of course. We return to you all of the deposit. Please understand we can not put this on a credit card without charging a usage fee. Another $10. Otherwise, we are losing money on this service. Plan on this separate expense/deposit.
- Can I just bring my own buckets? Yes, of course. Bring 2-3 gallon CLEAN buckets. Wastepaper baskets work too. The dollar store usually has some cheap ones. I repeat clean buckets that hold water. Your flowers will last so much longer.... so no ash buckets, tar buckets, concrete buckets or horse buckets. Plan to bring a few extra buckets.
- How do I order? Send via mail or email the order form, plus a mailed check for 1/2 the expected amount Make sure the Bride's name and date are on both. To insure you get on our calendar for your color needs, ASAP. You are not on the calendar until we received your deposit.
- What is the deposit to order flowers? For buckets or designs it is 1/2 of the expected total. For buckets only, the remaining may be paid on the day of pickup. Cash, credit card - no out of state checks the day of, please.
- Do you take credit cards? We do. We prefer checks for the deposit and credit cards for the balance. Cash is welcome too.
- How do I place an order for buckets of flowers? You can call, e-mail or download the order form below. Please fill out this simple form, listing your contact information, dates, names and flower order. We try to keep it simple. All correspondence requires the Bride's name and wedding date. Especially mailed checks from your Dad.
- Can I wait to order a few weeks from the wedding. Not a good idea, sometimes we have a very big wedding order to fill. We hate to say no. On the other hand, we will work with you any way we can up to 48 hours prior to pick up.
- Wow, I didn't realize there was so much to it. Can I really make this work? Yes, just plan plenty of time and space, get that manicure afterward. Grab someone with an artist flare and don't forget to cut down/up the taller flowers to fit into your vases or jars.
- Other things to consider? Plan your pickup time to allow several hours to put together your flower arrangements. Storage, transport to the venue, transport after the wedding, setting up in wind or sun? No hot cars, or too cold coolers. Order a few extra stems for back ups. Practice ahead of time.
- If this seems like too much, we can arrange the flowers for you. The minimum for personal flower design work is $250.
Flower Sales and Pickup:
904 Will Isaacs Rd. Zionville 28698
904 Will Isaacs Rd. Zionville 28698